Saturday, August 9, 2014

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba retires from international football with Ivory Coast

Chelsea FC striker Didier Drogba has announced his retirement from international football with Ivory Coast. The 36-year-old, who re-joined Chelsea from Galatasaray last month scored 63 goals in his 104 appearances for his country; Drogba made his final appearance for The Elephants in the recently completed 2014 World Cup, Ivory Coast lost 2-1 to Greece.
In a statement released, Drobga released on his personal website, one of Africa's most valuable player said: “ It is with much sadness that I have decided to retire from international football”

"These past 12 years in the national team have been full of emotions. From my first call up to my last match I have always tried to give my best for my country.
"I am very proud to have been captain of this team for eight years and to have contributed to placing my country on the world stage of football taking part in three World Cups and two Africa Cup of Nations finals.
"I cannot convey enough thanks to the fans for all the love and support during these years. All my goals, all my caps, all our victories are for you – I love you.

"I also owe much gratitude to my team-mates – the players with whom I have shared all these emotions and I wish you all much success for the future and a very warm welcome to the new manager."

No comments :

Post a Comment