Wednesday, August 13, 2014

EBOLA Virus: CAF orders relocation of matches from Sierra Leone and Guinea

1 comment :

The confederation of African Football (CAF) has ordered Sierra Leone and Guinea to relocate their 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers following the outbreak of Ebola Virus in their countries.

In the letter written by CAF's officials ot other member-associations to inform them of its decision to ask the two countries to relocate their games for the AFCON qualifiers they said:
It is a preventive measure to avoid mass gathering that could facilitate the spread of the virus.”
CAF also said the measure would remain in place until mid-September. What does this mean? At least the first two round of the matches, scheduled for between September 5th, 6th and 10th will be relocated.

According to the World Health Organization, at least 1,848 cased of Ebola has been reported and about 1,013 deaths, mainly in Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia.

Following CAF's directive, Guinea will need a new venue for their Group E tie against visiting Togo on 5-6 September.
Sierra Leone had already said it would not host any football matches until further notice and they have asked Ghana if they are able to host their Group D matches.

The Leone Stars are currently scheduled to host DR Congo on 10 September.

In a bid to combat this deadly virus, CAF moved to allay fears on the countries' away fixtures, saying that "each federation whose country is affected by the virus must ensure their delegations travelling abroad can be examined before departure".
It added that "each national association receiving delegations must communicate the necessary information delivered by health authorities to ensure the reception of teams... and if necessary to provide additional checks at arrival points".
Sierra Leone are due to play Ivory Coast, DR Congo and Cameroon in the last round of qualifying, which runs from early September to mid-November.


Read More

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sunday Oliseh, and Patrick Vieira slam Carlo Tavecchio's appointment as Italian FA President after alleged racist slurs.

No comments :
Tavecchio’s appointment as President of Italian FA Monday has spurred lots of outrage. The 71-year old officials topped the voting after he reportedly called African players “Banana eaters' earlier this summer. Tavecchio took 63.3% of the vote in the final round of polling to beat former AC Milan player Demetrio Albertini.
Tavecchio has apologized for his remark.

Former Super Eagle player Sunday Oliseh refers to his election as a “dark day for football”
Speaking to BBC Sport Oliseh said-“To have someone elected who would make such a comment sends a message: we don't care.” 
"That he won majority of the vote makes you question if his opinion is only his or whether it is also the opinion of the general public in Italy, it is a big problem” added Oliseh.
Speaking on the plight of current African players playing in Italy, the ex-Super Eagles legend said: “The African players in Italy will still have to do their work and give their best. Some players may want to leave but might not have the opportunity to do so. “
For years black players have had to fight against racism just to play their traid and its a situation that is out of hand.” 

Also speaking out on his election, former Arsenal FC skipper Patrick Vieira also criticized the decision suggesting it shows how racism is treated in Italy.
I'm finding it really hard to believe that Carlo Tavecchio has been elected as president of the Italian FA after the comments that he made,” he said on his Twitter page.
For me, that shows how far away the Italian football authorities are from dealing with discrimination. 63.3% of those that voted are admitting that they aren't fighting against racism, or that they don't want to fight these problems.
Vieira who is currently at Manchester City as coach is of the opinion that if the Italian FA President was English he would be banned from the game here.
I played in Italy for years so I know the issues I saw,” he added, “ If he was an English man making this kind of comment, politically, he would be completely out. This decision was made in football, but I think it is bigger than football. It should make the whole country of Italy look at the message they want to send about what they think about racism.”
I can't believe he will represent that Italian Football authorities. What a shame.”




Read More

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba retires from international football with Ivory Coast

No comments :
Chelsea FC striker Didier Drogba has announced his retirement from international football with Ivory Coast. The 36-year-old, who re-joined Chelsea from Galatasaray last month scored 63 goals in his 104 appearances for his country; Drogba made his final appearance for The Elephants in the recently completed 2014 World Cup, Ivory Coast lost 2-1 to Greece.
In a statement released, Drobga released on his personal website, one of Africa's most valuable player said: “ It is with much sadness that I have decided to retire from international football”

"These past 12 years in the national team have been full of emotions. From my first call up to my last match I have always tried to give my best for my country.
"I am very proud to have been captain of this team for eight years and to have contributed to placing my country on the world stage of football taking part in three World Cups and two Africa Cup of Nations finals.
"I cannot convey enough thanks to the fans for all the love and support during these years. All my goals, all my caps, all our victories are for you – I love you.

"I also owe much gratitude to my team-mates – the players with whom I have shared all these emotions and I wish you all much success for the future and a very warm welcome to the new manager."
Read More

Four-time NBA MVP Lebron James shows off slimmer physique on Instagram

No comments :
NBA star LeBron James shows off his recent weight loss via a post on his Instagram account.
Lebron James has always been fit, he however recently shed some weight and has slimmed down far below where we last saw him during the NBA Finals in June. James on Monday showed off his new physique via Instagram.

James who turns 30 in December is yet to reveal reasons for his recent weight loss. The Cavalier returnee is ranked at number 16 among active NBA players, at 33, 276 minutes played in regular minutes last season in addition to playoff minutes and national team minutes, James who is reportedly weighing 250 lb. playing weight is likely shaping up for his new team,  and off course being more cautious because of his age.
Read More

Friday, August 8, 2014

Usain Bolt and Mario Balotelli in a hot tub for new Puma advert

1 comment :


Playing up to their reputations, Jamaican sprint legend Usain Bolt, Italian bad boy Mario Balotelli along with golfers Rickie Fowler and Lexi Thompson make an appearance in Puma's recent campaign titled “Forever Faster.” 

The German brand are pulling all the stunts in their recent campaign which is themed: “Calling All Troublemakers," adding: “Obedience will be discouraged.” The campaign recognizes athletes across the world with strong personalities, drawing on their swaggie look to promote Puma's range of products.
In reality, neither Usain Bolt, nor Mario Balotelli are afraid to cause a splash across the sporting world; Bolt reportedly described the Commonwealth Games as a bit s**** while Balotelli once set off fireworks through a bathroom window.


Read More

Ugandan player dies after illness

No comments :
Ugandan striker Frank Lutalo who plays for newly promoted Super League side Lweza FC was buried on Thursday, after the 23-year-old player died in a Kampala hospital on Tuesday.

Super League coach Viali Bainomugisha denied recent media reports that the late striker had been involved in a recent clash of heads. The coach told BBC Sport that Lutalo had felt unwell over several month and had spent two weeks in hospital prior to his release last week. He however suffered further headaches and was readmitted to Mulago hospital, where he later passed away.
In his tribute to Lutalo, Bainomugisha told BBC: “We've lost a promising player, a great talent and we are sorry for our brother, for the family and the country as a whole.”









Read More

Thursday, August 7, 2014

West Brom: Brown Ideye granted work permit to play for club

No comments :
 Brown Ideye in action for Nigeria
West Brom's newest addition Brown Ideye confirmed that his work permit has now been granted.
The 25-year-old Super Eagles striker joined the English side from Dynamo Kiev in July for an undisclosed fee which was rumored to be about £10m has not been able to partake in any of Albion's Preseason friendlies.
Speaking to BBC Sport, Ideye said: “The British High commission called my club to inform them that I have been issued the visa”

Ideye will join the rest of the team this week following the confirmation of his visa issues/
Alan Irvine, Albion's head coach has decribed Ideye who signed a three-year deal with an option for a forth season as “strong, quick, and powerful”

Hopefully Ideye will be part of the opening squad as the begin their opening season at home to Sunderland on 16 August.
Read More

FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup: Nigeria 1-1 Mexico

No comments :
Nigerian U-20 female team, the Falconets took on Mexico in their ongoing World Cup campaign. The Falconets who have excelled in their last two appearances at the competition; making the semi-finals in Germany and Japan, 2010 and 2012 respectively displayed some of their trademark strength and speed, however, Mexico matching their strength scored the opening goal. Fabiola Ibarra netted her first and only goal against Nigeria in the game.

The Falconets were persistent and kept Mexico's senior national team goalkeeper Cecilia Santiago on her toes as Nigeria's Loveth Ayila angled shots at the goalpost all through the game. The Falconets drew level barely 3 minutes before the second half.
Nigeria narrowly missed a chance to double their score as Ugo Njoku's header from a perfect corner went by Ayila in the second half of the game.
The result leaves Group C finely poised after England and Korea Republic played out a 1-1 draw earlier in the day.




Read More

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

FREE EVENT: FESTAFRICA 2014

No comments :


FestAfrica 2014!!!
 12th Annual African Festival
To be held on

Saturday & Sunday
August 9th & 10th, 2014

from 1pm to 8pm both days.
 

 FestAfrica will be held at Veterans Plaza in Downtown Silver Spring

 1 Veterans Place Silver Spring MD, 20906 (Corner of Fenton St. and Ellsworth Drive).  
The festival is Free to the Public.   
We invite you to the largest African Festival in the MD/DCarea with over 8,000 people expected to attend the 2-day celebration

The festival will feature music by local and
 international African music and dance performances, African cuisine, vendors, games for children, health fair, career fair, and tourism fair.

Please visit our Website for more information

http://www.festafricausa.com/
FEST AFRICA 2014 PROMO VIDEO..CLICK HERE TO WATCH
Read More

Drogba's first game after his return to Chelsea since 2012

No comments :

Didier Drogba made his historic return from Galatasaray to Chelsea after leaving in 2012, however, the 36-year-old veteran striker drew a blank in his first game back. Mourinho left the Ivorian striker on the bench for the start of their pre-season friendly at Werder Bremen's Weserstadio with the Blues fielding an attacking trio of Diego Costa being supported by Fernando Torres and Mohamed Salah.

Drogba came in the second-half as substitute for Diego Coasta in their 3-0 defeat against Werder Bremen. Current Blues captain John Terry handed Drogba the Captain's band later in the game.



Read More

Monday, July 21, 2014

England Captain Gerrad announces international retirement.

No comments :
England's captain Steven Gerrad has announced his international retirement after making 114 appearances in his 14 year career. The 34-year-old who captained the national side in the 2014 World Cup which they crashed out after two matches admits that his decision to leave the national team is a “a very difficult decision” 

Speaking in an interview with FATV the Liverpool midfielder and captain  said: “This has been a very difficult decision, one of the toughest I've had to make in my career. I have agonized over this since coming back from Brazil and have spoken to family, friends and people close to me in the game before coming to this point.
Most importantly, Brendan ( Rodgers, his manager at Liverpool) has been fantastic and obviously I have to look after my body as much as possible to ensure I can give everything when I take to the field.
To ensure I can keep playing to a high level and giving everything to Liverpool FC I believe this is the right decision, and having Champions League football back at Anfield is another big factor in my decision

Gerrad made his debut appearance in 2000 in a 2-0 win over Ukraine at Wembley and went on to play in 6 major tournaments for England scoring 21 goals over the course of his career. He has captained the national team 38 time and he retired as the third most capped England player of all time behind Peter Shilton (125) and David Beckham (115).

Appreciation: “I'd like to firstly thank my family and friends for all their support throughout my England journey. I'd also like to thank everyone who has been part of my international career, from the England mangers I've played under to the staff at the FA and, of course, all the players I've been fortunate to play alongside. In particular, the supporters have been amazing, not least in Brazil when they got behind the team despite the disappointing results.”

He also added: “ I'd especially like to thank Roy (Hodgson), firstly for giving me the captaincy permanently when he took the job, making me the proudest man in the country and allowing me to fulfill my childhood dream. He has been very understanding over the past few weeks and is a man I will always hold in the highest regard”


Source: FIFA.COM
Read More