Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Police in Ghana investigate the death of a referee, Kwame Andoh Kyei

Following the death of Ghanaian referee Kwame Andoh-Kyei on Friday, police in Ghana have launched an investigation for the case.

Kwame Andoh-Kyei suffered severe injuries after he was attacked while runnning the line during a match between Gold Stars and Naa Joe United in Bordie on March 2. Andoh-Kyei is said to have told his brother, Kwaku that fans attacked him after the Naa Joe Royals VS Gold Stars game in Bordie in the Western region. He was then taken to the hospital on Friday but collapsed and died 3 hours later.

Kwaku revealed his brother, who was a class three referee, had complained of pains in the eye and had taken medication but had not seen a doctor before he was admitted to the Prestea Government hospital.
Naajoe Royals won the game 2-0 and it is believed some fans of the losing team, Gold Stars, were the aggressors towards Andoh-Kyei.
"Doctors are yet to fully establish the cause of his death," said the GFA statement.
"He was regarded as one of the association's most promising up and coming referees and was highly respected by his peers.
"A meeting of key stakeholders will be called by the GFA after receiving the report to examine the immediate action to be taken while the police continue with their investigations," the statement from GFA president Kwesi Nyantakyi added.

His family, with the assistance of the Prestea district referee's body, have lodged an official complaint with the police.
The Ghana Referees Association has ordered their members in the Western Region to suspend their services for lower division games.
Ghana Referees Association chief and former referee Alex Quartey told BBC Sport: "Protection for referees in those games is almost non-existent so we have asked our members in the Western Region not to officiate games until we can guarantee that they are safe.
"We are keen not to draw any conclusions until we have seen the medical report but there are too many cases of assault against referees, especially in the lower divisions, and we will take that up with the highest authorities."