Sunday, March 9, 2014

No surgery required for Super Eagles debutant Leon Balogun

Doctors rule out surgery for injured Super Eagles star, Leon Balogun whose hopes for playing for Nigeria in the World Cup was restored as scan revealed no surgery is required on his right foot.

The German-born Nigerian defender made his international debut for Nigeria against Mexico on Wednesday, however, his debut appearance was threatenedd just five minutes into the game after he collided with an advertising board and he was substituted in the 65th minute of the goalless game. According to the statement released by Mr. Ben Alaiya, the Super Eagles Media officer in Abuja, Nigeria's medics had recommended surgery, however, doctors in Germany sais the injury was not serious as previously indicated and that no surgery was required.

"They told me that the two bones broken are in the base of my foot, which will heal on their own and will not require me to undergo any surgical operation," he was quoted as saying in a Super Eagles press statement.
"I was also told that within six weeks I should be in good condition and another two or four weeks for rehabilitation.
"Overall I should be back kicking the ball by the time the national team returns to camp."
Balogun also revealed he has commenced treatment and will be out for at least ten weeks. He says he has been in touch with the Nigerian medics and team officials.
"I have been in touch with Dr Ibrahim Gyaran, team administrator, Dayo Enebi and I must say I am totally overwhelmed by the show of love by Nigerians and fans across the world.
"I remain committed to overcome this initial setback and to return quickly for the World Cup preparations.
"I will keep fit while I try to get myself ready for future challenges."
If Balogun's recovery goes as planned, the German-born defender who was also eligible for Italy, will be available for the Super Eagles' World Cup preparations, which starts in May, when they face Scotland at Craven Cottage on May 28.



No comments :

Post a Comment