Thursday, February 28, 2013

Rejecting protests from Schalke, UEFA clears Drogba to play in Champions League



Ivorian international Didier Drogba was on Wednesday cleared by UEFA to play for his newest side Galatasaray in the Champions League rejecting protests raised by German side Schalke about the eligibility of the 34-year-old striker.  

Drogba came back to the  European championship barely 6 months after leaving Chelsea FC  for Shanghai Shenhua and on February 20th, he made his first appearance for Turkish side Galatasaray against Schalke in the last-16 first-leg tie which ended in a 1- 1 draw.

Schalke believed that the transfer of the former Chelsea striker from Shanghai Shenhua to the Turkish side was completed after the registration deadline.

However, the European governing body said that the deal was completed according to the rules. UEFA ruled the Ivory Coast star had been registered by 1 February.
"Having examined all the documents of the case, the Control and Disciplinary Body decided to reject the protest lodged by Schalke," said a UEFA statement.

The second leg of the tie takes place in Germany on March 12.