Monday, February 18, 2013

Keeping up with Super Eagles: Finidi George returns to football


After almost 2 decades away from football, former Super Eagles player Finidi George has returned to the Dutch league only this time, for an internship position at Dutch minnows PEC Zwolle as part of his coaching course.


The former Nigerian international star is ready for a new chapter, speaking in a recent interview with  BBC Sport, he said: "I spent three years on the Mallorcan beaches in the sun after my retirement from football in 2004. I had to get rid of the tension and the stressful life. However, I just knew I would return [to the sport] one day. I was missing football, it has always been part of my life.
 “I could also do the course in Amsterdam at Ajax, but Zwolle has agreed to pay my hotel bills”
Finidi George
"There is actually no connection with PEC Zwolle. It was the best option for me; the club is neither too big nor too small.
"Right now, I'm doing an internship here as part of my coaching course, which takes three months.

Finidi was prominent for his superlative talent in the 1994 squad which went on to win the Africa Cup of Nations in the same year. The 41-year-old retired player represented Nigeria in two FIFA World Cups, 1994 and 1998, he also has three league titles including 1995 Champions League with Dutch side Ajax. Finidi retired in 2004 after a trophy-laden 15-year career.

No comments :

Post a Comment