Monday, February 4, 2013
Egypt recommence football league on Saturday after 1 year's absence
Posted by wasaafrica at 6:22 PM
The Egyptian football league resumed on Saturday after a year's absence in spite of ongoing protests in Cairo and Port Said
Thousands rallied in Port Said a year to the day after the stadium disaster that left over 70 "Red Devils"dead there- the tragedy which subsequently led to the cancellation of the league.After months of bickering regarding new safety measures to avoid such incidents in the future, a heavy security presence marked the return of the league.
The game was the first home competition since Ahly won over ENPPI in September last year during the annual Super Cup. Due to high security concerns, spectators are not allowed to attend the matches in the first half of the season