Friday, June 14, 2013

Super Eagle's Ogenyi Onazi ruled out of Confederation Cup


Nigeria's Ogenyi Onazi has been ruled out of the Confederations Cup in Brazil due to a knee injury he sustained during the World Cup Qualifiers on Wednesday in Namibia.

Speaking to BBCSports, the 20-year-old Lazio midfielder said-"I thought it was something I could manage when it happened but there was no point pushing myself to the extreme," Onazi told BBC Sport.
"Unfortunately, it means I will miss our Confederations Cup in Brazil."

Onazi will undergo a scan on Thursday after which is Super Eagles player will be After undergoing a scan he will be back in action in about a month's time.
He added: "I'm very disappointed because I always want to give my best for my country.
"Sometimes you face something like this to be stronger as a player. I can only wish my teammates well in Brazil."

The African Champions will face Tahiti, Uruguay and Spain in Brazil in the tournament which doubles as preparation for the South American country for the hosting of next year's World Cup.
Already, Nigeria will be playing without main players Nigeria, Emmanuel Emenike, Victor Moses and Kalu Uche from the 15 -30 June tournament.
The Super Eagles finished fourth in their maiden Confederations Cup appearance in Saudi Arabia in 1995.

No comments :

Post a Comment