Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sidney Sam vs Nigeria Football Federation- NFF labels Sam 'disrespectful'



Sidney Sam is being labeled disrespectful by the Nigerian Football Federation after the 25-year-old midfielder who plays for Bayer Leverkusen stated he had no interest in ever playing for Nigeria. 
Sam who is half Nigerian and German was at some point interested in switching his international duties from Germany to Nigeria; however, after he was called up for Germany's friendlies against Ecuador and the United States, the Bayer Leverkusen player claimed he never intended to represent the Super Eagles.

NFF spokesman Ademola Olajire told BBC Sport: "It's disappointing, disrespectful and not correct.
"If he's not interested, he's not interested and no-one is going to beg him to play for Nigeria.
"But to say he was never contacted is false and ridiculous. At the appropriate time we will give more details."

Despite Sam being included in the German Squad, the NFF were positive that they could somehow persuade him to play for Nigeria, however, ahead of Germany's friendly against Ecuador on Tuesday and the US three days later, Sam told German sports agency SID: "The 2014 World Cup is still far away but for me it is only Germany that counts. We don't have to speak about Nigeria.
"I never really thought about Nigeria and I do not know who invented that.
"I always wanted to play for Germany and I know I was on the coach's list. It is a pity, I was often injured but now I am here and want to prove my strengths."

Not sure which is more annoying, the fact that the NFF are busy chasing someone they barely even know, or that they are unable or refuse  to discover new talent right there in Nigeria.

No comments :

Post a Comment